Mkate Wa Chila
This traditional Zanzibar bread is made with rice and flavoured with coconut ¬ and it’s absolutely delicious. It does require the rice to be soaked overnight, but once that’s done the bread can be made in no time. Drizzled with a cardamom flavoured syrup it’s also a great way to finish a meal.
Write a review
24 hr 10 min
24 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 50g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 200g long grain white rice
- 90g coconut flour
- 125g sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of warm water.
- 1. Place the rice in a bowl and cover it with cold water. Leave to soak overnight.
- 2. The following day, drain the rice and rinse it under fresh cold water two or three times. Drain well.
- 3. Mix the yeast with ½ teaspoon of the sugar and 1 tablespoon of the warm water. Leave it for 10¬15 minutes until a foam begins to appear on its surface ¬ this means the yeast has activated.
- 4. Place the soaked rice in a food blender and add the remaining ingredients, including the yeast mixture. Blend them until you have a doughy batter. Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased bowl, cover it in cling film, and leave it in a warm place to double in size.
- 5. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a little coconut oil, ghee or clarified butter. Add the mixture to the pan one ladleful at a time, and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 2¬3 minutes.
- 6. Flip over the bread and cook it for a further 1 minute. Remove it from the pan and place it on a plate, and then cover the plate with a tea towel.
- 7. Repeat the above steps until you have used up all of the mixture.
- 8. Optional - To make the cardamom syrup, simply boil together an equal quantity of sugar and water, and add a few split cardamom pods to the liquid. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, and then leave it to cool. When cold it can be drizzled over the bread
Personal Development and Lifestyle Blog http://www.salwame.com/